... a future oldywed with no regrets

When the Lord joins man and woman, the two as one shall be, yet in the home they share with Him – in faith, the two are three. He multiplies their blessings, their sadness He divides, and for their different dreams and needs, He equally provides. He adds to their fulfillment and takes away their care, and one in Him, their total life abounds with love to spare.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering 9-11


I was a sophomore in high school when hijackers crashed two planes into the Twin Towers, left a gaping hole in the Pentagon and tried to take over a fourth plane that landed in a Pennsylvania field. My health class sat glued to the TV and suddenly, our assignments weren't so important.


In the past week, I've watched horrifying video footage from that day and read personal accounts of witnesses and emergency responders. It's all coming back. Saturday, I read an article about heightened security in New York and Washington, D.C., and I admit I'm nervous to see if anything happens Sunday. At the same time, I'm struck by New Yorkers going about their daily lives, almost ignoring armed officers lining subway stations and guarding government buildings. I love that they won't let fear get the best of them, that they are living proof of Americans standing strong.


I dug out my old diary from Sept. 11, 2001, and the days following. I had forgotten so much of my initial response. Here's what I wrote.


Sept. 11

"At about 10 'til 10 this morning, our principal came on the announcements and said for all of the teachers to turn their TVs on. She said something terrible was going on. ... The words 'America Under Attack' shocked me when I saw them on the bottom of the screen. I never really thought about OUR country being under attack. We're America. We're free. ... The first of the Twin Towers was on fire and billowed thick, dark clouds of smoke from its top. Then, while I was sitting in health class watching the screen, a second plane crashed through the second of the Twin Towers. The announcer lady who was reporting at that time started yelling ... and screaming. ...

"There was a third explosion, not from a plane, but from the first of the buildings collapsing. Then there was the second building. It was as if someone had pulled the ground out from under it. The whole thing just fell like enormous Jenga pieces. ...

"One girl in my class was crying, a couple of other people I know had family there ... and Mr. Cunningham looked so depressed . ... There was an administrator in our class while we were watching all of this and his mouth just gaped at the TV. ...

"When I got to Spanish, Ms. Contreras had the TV on even though we weren't supposed to by then. The principal came back on the intercom and said ... everything's under control, we're on top of things, and as long as we have a good education everything will be fine. 'Is she seeing this?!' I blurted out to Alex. ...

"The Pentagon had also been attacked ... and had a huge slice in one side. ... President Bush had been in Sarasota, Florida. ... To make his speech to the nation, he was flown to Washington, D.C. ... He said people could tear down the foundation of our biggest buildings, but they couldn't shake the foundation of our strong country. ... Then he quoted Psalm 23: 'Ye though I walk through the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for Thou art with me.' ..."


Sept. 12

"It's the day after and the world is still in chaos. Every TV and radio station you turn to, all you hear is breaking news. They say America hasn't been this in danger since 60 years ago with Pearl Harbor. I bet they'll make a movie about this someday. ...

"It seems like a horror movie coming to life. You always associate terrorists with problem countries far away from here. ... All planes were grounded yesterday. Only a few of our military planes and ones carrying blood are allowed to fly now. It's just hard to believe all of this happened so fast. Yesterday morning was so normal. ...

"Sarah's dad is in Boston right now for work. ... He said he thinks he knew people on the two planes from Boston that were hijacked. ... I couldn't even imagine knowing you were going to die in a matter of minutes and not being able to do much about it. On the radio this morning, they were saying the hijackers were taking passengers and flight attendants to the back of the plane and stabbing them with knives and box openers. One man called his wife on his cell and said everyone was going to die, but three of the passengers were going to try to take over the plane from the hijackers. Then he told her he loved her. Once the passengers got control of the plane, they didn't know how to operate it and crashed. ... The man had three kids.

"There was even a picture in the paper and on the news of Palestinian kids and adults waving their flags and celebrating. It made me sick. ... Osama bin Laden is being blamed for a lot of this. ... They were saying on the news that the FBI and CIA had gotten warnings as soon as Sept. 8 that something awful would happen. But how do you react? You can't stop the world. You have no idea what's going to happen. Or where. ...

"They also had a moment of silence in the U.S. ... Radio stations were quiet. I was in the car going home from school and me, Mom, and Sara were quiet. Everyone's flying their flags at half mast. ...

"My main question right now is why is God doing this. But I know he has a reason. Whether to bring our country together, or begin an international war, I have faith in Him. He ALWAYS pulls us through. ...

"I was watching a man on TV tonight saying he thought we were on the verge of a huge war. Mom told me a few months ago she wouldn't be surprised if WWII happened during my lifetime. ..."


Sept. 13

"Building five of the WTC collapsed this morning. It had been twisting and breaking windows since at least yesterday. ...

"Dad's building, the Bank of America building, and other federal buildings downtown (Charlotte) were evacuated Tuesday. Dad was working from home. They were also evacuating the building across from him yesterday when he was going home. ..."


Sept. 18

"It's been a week now and I think people are beginning to bounce back. ... Mr. Wessler, my World History teacher, said this would be THE event of the year, decade, and even half century.

"I was watching TRL today. ... There were a few people standing outside the studio again. (Including some firemen.) ... They played the videos people had requested to make them feel better, or help them through this situation. ...

"President Bush has ordered, I think, about 35,000 people for war. It's not a war against a country, but one against terrorism. ... I think, and hope, we'll win."


Oct. 7

"We started bombing the Taliban today. ... I was watching the news some today and the 'America Under Attack' from 2 weeks ago was gone. In its place was 'America Strikes Back.'

"I was in the office typing up a book review for World History today when I heard a loud plane outside. I was the only one home and I really got scared. ... I could already see the window behind me breaking and smoke filling the neighborhood. ... The plane eventually passed.

"We started bombing today about 12:30. ... I really feel bad if any innocent people are dying. They don't deserve to die! I wouldn't like to die for something I had no control over — or even something I was against.

"They were also showing N.Y. on TV. The WTC towers are STILL on fire from little flames from the glass. Then they showed N.Y. from the N.J. coast. Desolated. Empty. Dark. NO lights. ... There are precautions, warnings, and heightened security EVERYwhere in the U.S. right now.

Another plane."

No comments:

Post a Comment