... a future oldywed with no regrets

When the Lord joins man and woman, the two as one shall be, yet in the home they share with Him – in faith, the two are three. He multiplies their blessings, their sadness He divides, and for their different dreams and needs, He equally provides. He adds to their fulfillment and takes away their care, and one in Him, their total life abounds with love to spare.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Game night

Pete and I decided to host a game night last night. This is what I found out:

1.) Game night is not games + friends.

2.) Game night is Pete mowing + me pulling weeds and picking up sticks in the yard for 3 hours + cleaning the house + making punch and a meat/cheese/cracker platter + putting mirrors and candle holders on the wall + buying and hanging the curtains I've been wanting + staying out of Pete's way when he gets flustered hanging the curtains ("It would have cost 10 cents more for a decent anchor!") ... and THEN games + friends.
The mowing and cleaning had to be done anyway, but I was thinking how much work goes into hosting something and it made me laugh. You want to be a good host, but I'm sure that guests rarely notice the dusted blinds, clean windows, weedless flower beds or spotless toilets. Still, I want everything to be just right; heaven forbid they go home with dirty bare feet or spot a spot on the stove. (Of course, I'm also one of those who likes to be tidy and says everything has its place, so I'm often like that even when no one is around.)

We ended up with 9 people, including Kevin and Catherine's cute-as-a-button 8-month-old, and it was a lot of fun. We ate, talked and made fun of each other during Cranium (think human puppeteering and Pete trying to act out a hampster wheel). We never fully finished it, but Pete and I were dead last. (I say it was because our playing piece had a bouffant that weighed it down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment